The phrase “content curation” was new and fresh in 2011, when EContent described it as, “the act of discovering, gathering, and presenting digital content that surrounds specific subject matter.” Fast forward to 2017 when curated content has not only been crowned King, it's taken over the entire kingdom!
Questions We Have About Curated Content
The rise in popularity of curated content on social has raised a few questions:
- Are human content curators better than software?
- How is content curation different from content marketing?
- Should you hire a freelancer to write original content in addition to re-purposing what’s already in your internet newsfeed?
- Why will content still be relevant in 2018?
What Content Curation Platforms Can Improve Your Reach?
Buzzsumo (image above) is a great place to find the best shareable content. Just type in the topic and it pulls up the content that’s been shared most frequently on that topic.
Pocket is an aptly named app; if you find a piece of content, don’t bookmark it for later, stick it in your (digital) pocket.
Feedly helps you develop an RSS feed around keywords, domains, and topics. It completely eliminates the need to curate content by hand.
Who Hires Content Curators?
Look at the listings for content curators on behemoth job portals and you discover that some of these positions fit the magazine's definition. However, others are hybrid situations involving production — such as blogging online — as well as organization of content.
A quick scan of job listings may turn up jobs with:
- Companies that sell the work of creatives such as photographers
- Merchants that want to dominate a particular niche of commerce
- Popular publishers that need help tracking their publications that go viral
- News aggregators that require massive searches for top stories
- Nonprofits that want to develop awareness of their causes in order to raise funding.
Need Help Hiring the Right Freelancer?
We can help with that too! Check out our guide to hiring freelancers here. Consider it your 101 for picking the best one.
*Editor's Note: This posted has been freshened up for accuracy and new information.